Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Drake Dorson VS The Right

Random after school conversation with my 5 year old:

"Mommy, it was wrong to make brown-skinned people sit at the back of the bus and only let white-skinned people sit at the front, wasn't it?"
"Yes, honey, it was."
"Martin Luther King Jr was a good man."
"Yes, he was."
"Why did they arrest that lady that sat at the front?"
"Rosa Parks?"
"Yeah. Why did she get arrested?"
"well, honey, there was a law against what she did, and when she refused to move, they arrested her because that was the law at the time."
"That was a silly law. A MEAN law."
"yes, it was. But thankfully that law is gone now, they changed it. There are still some silly laws though. Do you remember the other day when we talked about how boys can't marry boys and girls can't marry girls?"
"Yes."
"That's because that's still a law."
"There are some really mean laws."
"Yes, honey, there are. But hopefully that law will be changed soon."
"Yeah. By a man named DRAKE DORSON!"

5 comments:

  1. I admire Drake's ambition, but I hope the law changes before that. It's taking too long as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He seems to have an understanding and curiosity of the world that I would guess is rare in a kid his age. If you want, I can send you a bunch of my constitutional law text books...and he can get started in undoing same sex marriage bans:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donia - I will admit I had the same thought, but I'm not going to discourage him. I'm sure there will still be plenty of stupid laws he can tackle in 20 years, lol.

    Kate - I should totally read some of those books myself! He has mentioned an ambition to be a lawyer several times and has asked us many questions about laws and things that I will admit I've been quite rusty on. I really need to start brushing up on law, politics and the constitution in order to keep up with him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, of course he can come to work with me and meet REAL LIVE ACTUAL LAWYERS!!
    Bring him down and I'll arrange a conference with some... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe he'll be a politician, and not the purchasable kind!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails